Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hypothetical Save-The-Dates

Finals are approaching, which means that I'm looking for ways to not do work (as evidenced by the recent creation of this blog). One thing that I find is that I do a lot of graphic design when I'm procrastinating. It's strange, because I'm studying writing, and I wonder: if I had gone to school for graphic design, would I write in order to put off design work? Food for thought.

Anyway, last night I got bored - the two classes that I have to write papers for this week happen to be two of the worst classes I've taken at school thus far - and I decided to make some hypothetical save-the-dates for Jess. I've been really fascinated by a lot of typography-centric save-the-dates that I've seen on wedding blogs recently, especially Green Wedding Shoes, so I decided to give it a whirl using the sunset color scheme that I came up with earlier. This is what I came up with: 



Overall, I'm quite pleased with how this came out, especially since this is my first go at something like this. Jess liked it, although she said that from far away it "looked kind of like a bingo card," and I have to agree. There are several things that I would change if I were to do it over again. 


1. Silhouettes. If I had the time, I would do custom silhouettes. It would be totally awesome. I would use just the head and neck, and I would utilize the space better. But these were the silhouettes that I was working with, and I didn't feel like playing around with them.
2. The story section - if you're not really into typography, you should skip this. The program I am using is Paint.Net, which is a lovely (free!) program with just a few things that bug me. For starters, you can't go back in and re-edit text, which can be problematic. The other major issue that was particularly challenging for this project was that there is no "justify" setting for text. Since I wanted to justify, I had to use a monospaced (fixed width) font to measure things out. It was very limiting, and I really wanted a nice, rounded sans serif like Century Gothic. I went dafont.com to see what I could find. I tried a few things out, and what I ended up going with was Futurist Fixed. I like it, but it's not exactly what I was going for. The characters just seem too narrow. If I were to do this again, I would either download Typewriter (Courier New just wasn't cutting it - it didn't look right) or search for a more Century Gothic - esque solution. 


3. I'd tidy up the bells and rings. They're a little messy; I did them very late at night. 


4. I'd make "she said yes" a little wider and place it differently. 


Another typography nerd note: if you know me in "real life," you know that I get angry when people mix serif and sans serif fonts. But in this case, I think that the Rockwell is rounded and condensed enough to not have the traditional serif look - that is, it doesn't look as formal. 
If you are a legitimate graphic designer or just an amateur graphic design nerd like me, please let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment